Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Being Thankful

Working at an agency that serves people with developmental disabilities, you often get reminded of how fragile life can be.
I remember when I was pregnant with my first child, how I avoided going down to the school where the younger children were because I didn't want that reminder. Being pregnant and facing the unknown was scary enough without facing the reality other parents who have special needs kids lived every day.

It took some time, but eventually I was fine again visiting the school and meeting children whose faces light up when they meet someone new. The children at school have a variety of disabilities - from Downs Syndrome to Autism, CP to TBI. Although it breaks my heart to see the severity of some of their disabilities, there is also profound hope and pure joy there. Today I had the pleasure of seeing the younger children perform a song for an upcoming performance.

One young girl brought me tears as I heard her sing "The Climb." She sang with such depth that there was no doubt in my mind she was thinking of her own climb up that mountain and all the trials she has been put through at such a young age. I did not cry because I pitited her; instead I cried because her singing brought joy to my heart. What ever disabilities she was born with, she had the very BIG ability to sing and stir one's soul.

So while, of course, I am very thankful that my own children were born healthy, and God-willing will always be, I am also thankful for the lessons these children teach me everyday. We may think life is hard for us because we've had a bad day at work, got stuck in traffic, or our children misbehaved. But these children have a ground-breaking day when they are able to do the simplest things we all take for granted. So be thankful for the things you have in your life and the people who fill your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment